Friday, December 11, 2009

A Good Day, 12x16




OK. Change of materials but, as in the previous paintings, no pre-drawing. This one was started by lightly blocking in the dark shapes and then honing them to a likeness. The hair, under the chin, dress, and background were gently placed with a Faber-Castell pencil and modified as needed for value and likeness. Somewhere toward the end of the drawing I began adding white for the lights and highlights. About an hour, I think, because I did two that day but gave away the second. I like the simplicity of materials and technique that encourages looking at shapes rather than line.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad to get a chance to look at this drawing a bit closer. I can't believe how well your new technique is working in regards to accuracy! I wouldn't have expected it.

    ReplyDelete

Make a comment. I enjoy hearing what you have to say.