Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Study for Rainier Light, 14x18


This is a study for a larger piece that's in process....meaning that it is still in my head getting ready to move into paint.  When we see the mountain (when the rain stops and we eventually SEE the mountain) it is gorgeous and inspiring and awesome.  I suppose if it happened more we could get ho-hum complacent about it.

This study just works out some of the color structure and tone.  I have ideas how it can go from here but I'll need to mull it over some more before committing a larger canvas.  A painting of Mt. Rainer can be rather trite....I'll see if I can make it interesting.

Yesterday I hauled our paintings over to Roslyn for the show that begins this weekend (see previous post).  After dropping them off I left to find a painting spot.   The work was going well until a thunderstorm moved in.  I decided to leave....but the car wouldn't turn over.

Must be a bad battery connection, says I.  So I get out a few times to detach and clean off the connectors but, while it did get better it still wouldn't start.  One more try, says I.  By this time the sky was dumping so when I got out I closed the door.  I detached the connector again and when I reconnected it I heard the car locks go 'click'.

Phone in car.  Check.
Keys in car.  Check.
Doors all locked.  Check.
Raining like buckets.  Check.
Soaked.  Check.

The story continues but you get the idea.  The painting was also a wet flop.

2 comments:

  1. This is a view us ferry riders are familiar with!.....and one you can't tear your eyes off of when the mountain is out in all it's glory! Love your take on it Darrell! It will make an impressive large painting. All the team players are there! (been reading Caths book...=])

    Must say that I learn a lot about painting from your posts and other useful things...like get that magnet box with the spare key!...thanks for sharing this story...I needed a good belly laugh to start my day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beauty! I geuss you made it home.

    ReplyDelete

Make a comment. I enjoy hearing what you have to say.