Thursday, June 12, 2014

Birch Forest Path, 12x16


The Birch Forest at.....

....the Bloedel Reserve was new to me.  There must be around twenty trees there growing out of the laurel hedges, not exactly my conception of 'forest' but I was game.

After I began composing, that pie slice of orange like path just had to be an important shape and a nice horizontal part.  I picked up the color in the branches of the trees....the warmth was there but got pushed just a touch.

I like the liveliness of the brushwork and the colors in the trees.  In my opinion, the best birch tree painters I've seen are Colin Page and Sonny Apinchapong.  When I see their birch paintings I'm tempted to take up golf.

Not really.

Montisi, Italy just got some award for best undiscovered hill town or something like that.  I'll find out and post more about it tomorrow.

Ciao!


1 comment:

  1. Glad you went to check out the Birch "Forest"...It resulted in a beautiful painting! I almost want to say "happy trees" but really this painting just makes me happy!

    ReplyDelete

Make a comment. I enjoy hearing what you have to say.