Monday, November 3, 2014

Painting Pixies



Appeasing the Painting Pixies.....

Last Thursday I was talking with Pam Fermanis about a curious thing.  That's the day I get together with a small group of accomplished artists to paint portraits...and sometimes still life.

Pam was feeling that it was 'just one of those days' as nothing was really turning out for her.  Our conversation veered quickly to how one day can be so creatively different than even the day before.  Using the same paint, brushes, canvas and what-all, one day can be so successful that it almost feels like you could just walk away and let the tools finish the painting.  The next day, no matter how hard you try, or how mentally aware you are, nothing seems to work.

Same tools, same artist, similar subject....yet nothing works.  Sometimes it leaves me speechless....or swearing....or ready to quit painting for the 1,000th time.

Scientifically speaking, I've decided it's the Painting Pixies.  There is no other logical conclusion.  One day they like you and the next they don't care a whit.

While I felt for Pam, I was having a good day.  The PP's had blessed me with their magic.

The first painting I did was of my friend Francis and took about 2 1/2 hours to complete the 18x24 canvas.  He was in motion, making it fun to try and have it all work and still get a likeness.

Since I had almost an hour to go before we quit, I slapped on a 20x24 and did the still life in less than an hour.  See.  The Pixies were liking me that day.  I could have dozed off and it still would have worked out.


Two paintings in four hours.  I sure hope they don't expect anything in return.....


2 comments:

  1. great paintings, Darrell. I hope your painting pixies rub off on me! NAF

    ReplyDelete
  2. That seems like very quick work on the still life; there is so much detail that you must have not fiddled around at all, making every mark count, no wasted time. And I think it shows in how fresh and crisp it seems. The portrait is great, too, with nice soft edge work and I love the cool light spilling on the floor.

    ReplyDelete

Make a comment. I enjoy hearing what you have to say.