Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Midtown Montana, 8x10


John Lennon once said that 'life is what happens while you are making other plans'.....or something close to that.  'Life' took me out of the blogging realm for almost two months, but it is good to be back....and good to be painting again.

Missoula, MT is surrounded by four converging mountain ranges and three rivers, the Clark Fork, the Bitteroot and the Rattlesnake.  It's no wonder that you can sit a block from downtown on a hot day, dangle your feet in clear cold water, drink an iced coffee and paint.  How could life get better than that?

I have a rule about painting outdoors.  First, find yourself a nice comfortable spot where the bugs aren't biting, there is no sand blowing in your face and the hot sun is filtered through the trees.  Two, then find something to paint.  I used to feel guilty about that approach until I began running across 'big name' painters who said the same thing.  No need to suffer for your art.

3 comments:

  1. Very nice painting. Our daughter lived in Missoula and the general area for quite awhile, and finished school at UM. Our visit to Missoula sold me on the town! What a wonderful place and people! Can't wait to see more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of finding a comfortable spot to paint outdoors, but don't I remember you painting at the Grange in a freezing wind and bone-chilling temperatures? An unusual event for you? Love the painting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This photo makes me laugh, outloud, but you are stretching the limits of our friendship.......

    ReplyDelete

Make a comment. I enjoy hearing what you have to say.