Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Ragland 5, 30x36


Neil Young....

.....had his boat, Ragland, moored in Eagle Harbor for a year or so while he was selling it.  During that time I painted it plein air at least four times.  I thought the island should buy it just for it's ambiance, especially since long gone harbor businesses used to build boats like this by the score. 

I liked the paintings I did which you can see Here (at a distance), Here (similar to this view) and Here (another at a distance) and this one, which I never posted:


My paintings, although I enjoy them, never quite matched my impression of what it was like to stand out there as the sun set.....so I decided to do another in the studio that spoke more to the experience.  Thus, Ragland 5.

On a totally different note.....Exquisite Corpse.....
......I was out having lunch with the Balcomb boys the other day.  Put a paper covering on a table with three artists, a photographer, a musician and a painter, and what you get is a table full of drawings, doodles and ideas.

Somewhere during our meal we began adding on to one another's drawings and the musician asked me if I had heard of 'Exquisite Corpse'.  I had no clue.  It began, as much as anyone knows, as a parlor word game where each person added on to a sentence.  Then it became add on written stories and, eventually, even the surrealists used it to explore visual ideas.

Then, this morning, I ran across a recently posted example of it on a grand scale.  Three well known excellent watercolorists paint together on a huge piece of paper to create a spectacular work.  Joseph Zbukvic, Alvaro Castagent and Herman Pekel.....all well known artists.  It's 30 minutes long but worth your time: HERE    Enjoy this one!   You won't believe the size....



3 comments:

  1. The collaboration with the three water colorists is Exquisite! Thanks for posting that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stuart. I finally got this thing set up so I can make comments back. Heard you were in town attempting the heroic. Good Luck.

      Delete
  2. THANK YOU DARRELL. I REPOSTED THIS LINK ON MY FACEBOOK PAGE WITH COMMENT REGARDING MY 1964 EXPERIENCE IN NORMAN LUNDIN'S CLASS. YOU ALWAYS STIMULATE IN INTELLIGENT WAYS. RANDY

    ReplyDelete

Make a comment. I enjoy hearing what you have to say.