Sunday, October 23, 2011

Rainy Day Bridge, 10x12


Alone up a dead end road and down into a makeshift parking area I found this scene.  Rain kept interfering with my painting progress but the quiet was worth the annoyance.  For much of the time I had to hold an umbrella over the painting and palette to keep them dry enough to progress.  

I've had some questions so, if a picture is worth a thousand words, here are some answers to the question of  'How do you do this?'  While it has been different every time, this is the general idea:

The Scene:

Initial separation of light and dark with an Isabey badger fitch:


Over the next few steps the image gets created by 'carving' with value and hue:







Finally, after the larger shapes begin to take some generalized form, I can begin to add the details that turn it into a recognizable image:




And that's pretty much it.  Painting is just big shapes and doo-dads... (think I've said that before.....)  Remember when comparing the photo of the scene to the painting that  1) this is a painting, not a reproduction of a photo,  2) cameras lie, and 3) see number one.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting your process Darrell! So interesting to see how artists approach plein air painting!...great little painting!

    ReplyDelete

Make a comment. I enjoy hearing what you have to say.