Friday, December 26, 2014

Pricilla, 20x24


This is one of several paintings.....

..... that I'm giving away this month.  It is an affliction I go through periodically and, although not a boon to my pocketbook and against any marketing advice, it certainly makes me feel good.....so I will likely continue the practice whenever the mood strikes.

I loved painting this model, playing with brushwork and paint thickness during the three hours it took.  The palette was limited to Ultramarine Blue, Cad Yellow Light, Burnt Sienna and Cad Red Light.

It was her dress that pleased me most.  It was a complex cross hatch pattern of black and white that, if I had put it in as I saw it, would have made it a painting without movement.   Viewers need movement to maintain interest, I think.  Too much explained information and the mind doesn't get involved.  OK, Vermeer and Velasquez seemed to pull it off, but even their work is greatly simplified.

I'm going to show up at 'Pricilla's' place of work and hand it to her.  Should be fun.

Hope you all are having a great Holiday Season with friends and relatives! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Make a comment. I enjoy hearing what you have to say.