Monday, February 27, 2017

Leftovers, 8x16


I had a few extra flowers.....
.....from a still life set up for one of my classes.  I brought them home, plopped them in an antique pitcher, walked by them for a couple of days and finally recognized that they could be interesting to paint.

So I pulled them out to the studio and set them on a shelf intending to add some other things for more  variety....and found out they already were interesting as they were.

I first painted the pitcher getting the light reflections balanced.  Then large areas of color were blocked in and carved into flower masses.  It's the perimeters of flowers that do most of the work in giving them the 'floweriness' they are on canvas.  Make an amorphous shape and then add what isn't 'flower' and you can get a long way toward making them convincing and interesting.  This works best with the varieties that have a round or globular shape like roses, carnations, dahlias, daisies.  'Bird of Paradise', not so well.

I've begun playing around with Indian Yellow.  Nice transparent color of low tinting strength and, when not overpowered by other hues in a mix (as it easily is), a very vibrant color.

Later.

Thanks for reading....







No comments:

Post a Comment

Make a comment. I enjoy hearing what you have to say.