Friday, October 6, 2017

Fall at the Gardens, 12x12


Bainbridge Gardens....
....has long been a destination for tour buses that visit the island, so when I got a suggestion to paint there I was in.  (They also have a nice outdoor restaurant.)

You'll have noticed that the last five have been 12x12 size.  They also have all been shellacked birch plywood, no gesso or other preparation.  I've been using egberts, which are long bristled filberts that, especially on shellac, give very little control.  I'm having a blast using them.

Looking for something to paint from a comfortable spot, I didn't originally believe I could make anything out of this and that I would use it as just an exercise, scraping it later.  Turns out I find it a pleasant little piece.  Lots of fire.

Thanks for looking.  Back soon.




3 comments:

  1. Great example of how to make those all-so-brilliant fall colors look real. It can be tricky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Robyn. It's almost like what is put around the colors that makes them glow.

    ReplyDelete

Make a comment. I enjoy hearing what you have to say.