Monday, April 18, 2011

Cottenwood Down, 10x12


Fallen trees look so different than when standing, their limbs pushing in unexpected directions forming unexpected shapes and movement between them. 

This is the second painting of the day in the Swauk Valley out of Cle Elum.  It has many things in it that appeal to me: a scene that is a small slice of the world as opposed to a panorama, interesting but related color choices, repeating shapes, varied edge work, warm against cool colors, thick and thin paint application, distinct unique brush marks and small sparkles of smaller strokes.

It is a painting that makes me feel good when I look at it, the cold of the day forgotten.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful!
    I agree; beautiful colors, rhythms and playful dance in this piece.

    Nice, Darrell.

    ReplyDelete

Make a comment. I enjoy hearing what you have to say.