Tuesday, February 28, 2012

All American 1, 2, 16x20


There are things in our lives that have so much meaning we wouldn't want to part with them.  The 'Minnie' that my mother made for our daughter when she was young is one of those things.  It usually just sits around the house.  (I've noticed she never sleeps.)

All American 1 & 2 were demonstration paintings for my classes.  They were a kick to do.  Getting a variety of color in Minnie's face was interesting but I think I had the most fun with the stripes in the flag, finding differing 'reds and whites' and subduing the other actors.  These paintings make me smile.  One is horizontal and the other vertical and obviously composed differently....can't tell which I like better.  You?

2 comments:

  1. Reading your blog, I was flooded with good memories of Aunt Molly and our early years in particular, aided by the subtle nostalgic tone of the paintings. Personally, I like the horizontal version for its broader story context for Minnie. But the vertical version is a lovely portrait of Minnie framed by the other objects. I love the feelings evoked by both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the first one better because of the brighter gum balls. I too, like to paint things around my house that hold memories for me or that I just think are pretty.....

    ReplyDelete

Make a comment. I enjoy hearing what you have to say.