Monday, February 18, 2013
Last Water, 10x12
Last October, while the day was tilting rapidly toward night, I was searching for that last painting of the day and the simplicity of the light in this irrigation ditch seemed soothing. It remained soothing until I began painting it.
It wouldn't cooperate. It twisted and turned, trying to avoid my artistic grasp. I parried with my brush. It dodged with the light and color. I think it ended as a draw. (Would that make it a draw in the draw?) Oh well.
Five questions to deciding 'What color is that?'
1. Is it red, blue, yellow, green or purple? (Munsell color wheel)
2. Within the color you picked does it tend to the warm or cool side?
3. How saturated or how pure a color is it? Does it tend toward gray or is it vibrant?
4. What is the value...how light or dark is it?
5. Great. We did it only four questions.
Look at this painting. Pick a color and if you can answer those questions you can mix the color. Congratulations.