Friday, June 21, 2013

Sentinel, 12x16


Somewhere on a Montana 20 acres.....

I wanted to paint but didn't want to drive to find a spot...so I just wandered out into the forest and found this remnant of the ice age.  It has been sitting where it is for about 15,000 years, ever since our hill was what split a huge glacier that proceeded down the Flathead Valley, covering the tops of the mountains.  They melted eventually and left several of these 15' boulders scattered around.  Fox live under it and I've seen their kits playing just outside in the Spring.

The colors in the painting were all there in life but needed a little push to make this thing come together.  I rather like the rhythm of it...but wish I had taken the time to paint it about eight times this size.

Plein Air Workshop June 29th and 30th.  Come on down....as they say.


1 comment:

  1. Really nice- love all the different greens, and the little sky holes in the back.

    ReplyDelete

Make a comment. I enjoy hearing what you have to say.