Thursday, February 12, 2015

A Thanks

'Grocery Run'
Wanted to post a 'Thank You'.....
.......to the recent flurry of people who have ordered my book 'Value Sketching With Markers'.  I think you'll enjoy what you pick up in the book, whether you are a sketcher or painter.  If you don't have one but are interested it's under the tab at the top of this page.

The drawing above I did yesterday coming home from grocery shopping.  It is just three values, white from the paper, plus a 30% and 60% grey marker.  I could have gone one more level darker in selected places but as it was it gave me the information I would need for a painting.  I contemplated accenting a few small bits around the larger house.  When in doubt, stop.

Here are two recent visual excursions.  These have all three marker values in them.  The point of drawing this way isn't to create a accurate rendition of what I see but to condense and move values around to simplify what is out there.  I makes for pleasing, more easily understood, artwork.

'Incoming Tide'


Still Life Study
When sketching outdoors I use 30%, 60% and 80% values of grey because there is generally so much light outside that the darker values get raised.  Indoors 30%, 70% and 90% seem to work best.....but it's your call.



1 comment:

  1. Its always a treat getting your blog posts in my email box! I read something I needed to know...and of course beautiful to look at... for us visual people. Thanks Darrell! For sharing your world with us.

    ReplyDelete

Make a comment. I enjoy hearing what you have to say.