Thursday, July 29, 2010

Cannery Cove Study, 8 x 10



My mother and sister are awesome musicians.  I've seen pianos perk up and stand at attention when they walk into a room.  When I was a kid I went into a music store with them and thought I saw a nervous piano wetting itself....but then I realized it was a leaky humidifier and not a B version of Fantasia. 

When playing, my sister goes through a piece once or twice as written and then a look crosses her face and she moves off on her own, using the music only as a guide for what she wants to hear, letting her heart be her guide.  She departs the text, having the skill to do so.

The artists I most admire do this all the time, using reality only as a guide for their own interpretations.  Sergei Bongart, Quang Ho, Cathe Gill, Scott Burdick/SusanLyons, Peggy Kroll-Roberts, Ron Lukas, Bob Phinney are just a few artists whose works have a singular stamp of personality that stems from letting what they see only be a guide for what they want to say.

'Cannery Cove' was a small quickie at a new park on the island while on the way home from town.  In general I like what happened yet have a feeling that 'reality' remained too influential.  I can't say right now (give me a month) what I'd do differently, but there is this sense that this was one where I needed to "depart the text" more than I did.

2 comments:

  1. Such an interesting thought! I just saw an artist in Milwaukee ( Maria Baggetta ) whose work spoke to me in a powerful way that seems to be similar to what you are talking about.. It was full of energy, light and color in an abstract way yet still maintained a tie to the realism and energy of the moment. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you captured that in the background Darrell.....but boats are tuff! Nice job overall!

    ReplyDelete

Make a comment. I enjoy hearing what you have to say.